Post your ideas, questions and comments for the first section by clicking on the comment link below. Read and respond as your schedule permits.
Surprises? Questions? Powerful quotes or passages? Ah Hah Moments? Connections to other workshops or readings?
If you are reading another book that you would like to discuss, let us all know and I will add a discussion place for that one on this page as well.
You don't have to have a blogger.com account to comment. Just click on "comments", type your message, and then select "other" and it will allow you to type in your name.
9 comments:
p.2 "Students in the higher achievement groups were reading many more words per day, more minutes per day, and more hours per week than the students in the lower achievement groups, who spent very little time reading very few words."
I think that is a pretty powerful quote. We often complain about many things we cannot control, but the amount of time spent reading in our rooms is something we can control.
We can control that part, but not the home part. Many of those students are ones who will only read at school so will still have fewer words read per day than others. However, if we can get them to read more and more at school...true...more power to us!
You are both right. We can control what happens in our classroom......with new research on "catch up" growth, these students will need to read two to three times longer during independent reading IN the classroom if we are going to catch them up. How to do it???? I am not sure... but I do know that you all have the expertise and know how among you.
By providing additional reading support/instruction during the content areas, we will be adding some additional minutes. The minutes have to come from somewhere. I just think we are going to have to be proactive about incorporating as much social studies and science as possible into our language arts program to make up for the "lost" minutes of direct instruction in those areas. Perhaps we should think about is "relocated" minutes instead of "lost"???
True. Interesting reading too. The other day I made a note about getting rid of my teacher desk and getting another round table for small group. I was wondering if I would regret this or not. The reading of the first grade teacher on here makes me think maybe I am not crazy! Hopefully we can find another small round table or I can trade with someone??
I think it is going to be important for all of us to create a space for an additional table in the room not only for your small group work but also for the specialists that will be coming in to work with you. We can have a swap meet when everyone returns to make sure everyone has what they need in the way of tables.
Deana,
I think you are right on when you talk about making sure science and social studies into the reading block. That is the only way we are going to find the time to address these areas. Although I have not heard about this lately, we are supposed to be adminstering the SS and Science diagnostics this year.....I do know that these areas were struggles this year at Whitaker so anything we can do to support our students as they move on......
I am a little worried about the 5th grade SS and Sci scores. The Powers That Be may want us to increase our instruction in those areas and right now I can't picture how that can happen.
I agree that we need to be very deliberate in the time spent on reading in the content areas. Conent area teachers in science and social studies need to work closely with the language arts teachers to coordinate subject matter in their classes. The readers that come with the textbook series is a start. I hope that in our teams that we can make this a focus this upcoming school-year.
Post a Comment