Thursday, June 7, 2007

Let's Get this Started!

Things to Do:
1. Invite everyone to this blog.
2. Choose a book.
3. Assign chapters.
4. Start posting!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to discuss Guiding Readers and Writers because it has definitely got my wheels turning. However, I'd be glad to read/discuss another book if others are interested.

Mila said...

We were discussing using magnetic letters for the kids to practice spelling at school. What will the kids think? An alternative could be to use letter stamps with ink pads. They could stamp their spelling words as part of their word study activity. They might like stamping versus the magnets. Stamps would be easier to check also and might be more of a 4th grade activity, although the teacher in the book used the magnetic letters with her 4th grade class.

Deana Sherman said...

Those ink pads dry out so quickly and are pretty expensive.

They sell those tubs of foam letters at craft stores. How could we use them in a time efficient way?

Carol said...

How many tubs would that take? When I read that I was trying to think how much of this stuff I would need. I love all the ideas, but want to be practical as far as space. I don't have room for all of the things so I want to think about what I will use the most, etc.

Anonymous said...

Maybe set up a Word Study center??

One way we can gain some space is to get rid of our teacher's desk. They mentioned this in the book. Pros/Cons??

Anonymous said...

I do not have a desk. I have a table that I use as my desk if I need it - I bought one of those small rolling carts and that is what all my "office" type supplies are in. It works. Angie

Mila said...

I don't think I see the word study as a whole class activity. When we are working with small groups, some kids may be writing, others reading, we might be conferencing with others, and a few kids could be at the word study station. That way you wouldn't need too many tubs, magnets, stamps, etc. What ever you choose to use. My question is how do we monitor that they are actually doing their spelling words and not just goofing off?

Deana Sherman said...

In the Responsive Classroom training, we talked about practicing spelling as an "Academic Choice" lesson. It would be a great opportunity to provide choice in the classroom (stamps, foam letters, magnets letters, etc.) We wouldn't need as much of each resource if it were set up like this.

Unknown said...

I have an excel file of "Scrabble Tiles" that could be used to create the spelling words. They wouldn't take much room because they're on paper, and could be printed on an as needed basis. If the students glue their words on paper, you have a record of their work. If you wanted, I bet you could separate the "tiles" so you could have different colors for consonants and vowels (if that is something that would be helpful to your students.)

Additionally, these "tiles" could be used to reinforce vocab in any content area. The students could glue their words on a paper, or play Scrabble in small groups. It's really quite a flexible tool.

Deana said...

Scrabble tiles sound like a great idea. We tried the alphabet stamps, but they were messy and once one was lost...it was too hard to replace.

Also, a cookie sheet with a layer of sand can be used for writing/touching the spelling words.