Monday, May 10, 2010

Book Study: Strategies That Work (Part 2)

Do you have the necessary resources for comprehension instruction?

4 comments:

Deana Sherman said...

So far, I could use:
* more sticky notes
* short, high interest text
* a more comfortable reading space for the students
* a better small group teaching space

~Deana

Mary Pat said...

I agree. I am going to be a different reader this summer as I look for more short, high interest text I can use to model strategies. I will also be on the look out for picture books to add to my collection.

Michele said...

Teaching the content areas I always assumed (and they do) that the kids have books from Dinan's class! I will do a better job having a "library" available with a variety of books and genres.

Anonymous said...

I have Strategies That Work first edition and now this. It is great that this book focuses on reading comprehension not only in fictional text but also nonfiction.
I would like more resources such as more sticky notes, more levels of nonfiction as well as realistic fictional text. I agree with Deana and would like a space that works better for small groups as well (elevator shaft doesn't help).
I think it would be great resource (investment) to have common posters made for EVERY classroom for thinking while reading (sticky note R, T-T, T-S, etc). This would be a great resource to have to refer to when teaching reading comprehension to the students.

--Doug