Monday, July 19, 2010

The Art of Teaching Reading by L. Calkins

Are you reading this book for the first time or revisiting?  Any new learnings, interesting finds, or comments?

3 comments:

Deana Sherman said...

I thought this was a powerful quote..."When we teach comprehension, much of what we teach is a depth of listening, understanding, and response." p.14

I think at times, we can get easily caught up in all the "skills teaching" of reading and lose sight of the bigger picture.

shelly said...

First time reading and still struggling with the difference between guided reading and strategy lessons. I tried to look at the Fountas/Pinnell book for some help but some practical advise would be helpful.

Deana Sherman said...

I've been thinking about the same thing, Shelly. What I am getting from it is that Guided Reading groups have students with similar reading levels using the same text and Strategy Groups are multi-levels with varied text.

I've never really tried that, but am intrigued by the idea of it. I can picture doing a lesson on nonfiction text features and each has a different text. I don't have a vision yet for a fiction lesson. Has anyone tried this? Any ideas?